1/3 c Plus 3 tablespoons butter
35 Vanilla wafers, crushed fine
1/2 c Granulated sugar
1/4 c Cornstarch
2 c Milk
Yolks from 3 large eggs
1 ts Vanilla extract
3 Medium-size firm ripe
1 1/2 c Whipping cream, heavy
1 1/2 tb Sugar
1/2 ts Vanilla
2 Ripe strawberries
2 tb Toasted sliced almonds
2 tb Bottled carmal topping
By cooking the filling in the microwave, you eliminate the need for
constant stirring and reduce the chance of scorching. Approx. 4 hours to
1. Lightly spray a 9-inch glass pie plate with vegetable cooking spray.
2. Crust: Cut the 1/3 cup butter in small pieces into a medium-size
microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high 15 to 18 seconds until soft but not
melted. Add cookie crumbs and stir with a fork until blended. Press firmly
and evenly over bottom and up sides of prepared pie plate. Microwave on
medium 2 to 2 /12 minutes, rotating dish 1/2 turn once, until crust is set.
Let cool before filling.
3. Filling: Mix sugar and cornstarch in a 2-quart, microwave-safe bowl.
Gradually whisk in milk, then egg yolks until well blended. Microwave
uncovered on high 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 minutes, stirring once, until mixture
starts to rise around edges. Continue cooking on high 1 to 1 1/2 minutes,
stirring once, until filling starts to thicken. Whisk in remaining 3
tablespoons butter and the vanilla until custard has a pudding consistency.
Place plastic wrap directly on custard to prevent skin from forming.
Refrigerate 1 hour or until cool.
4. To assemble: peel bananas, quarter lengthwise and cut crosswise on
1/2-inch pieces. Mix with 1 cup of the cooled custard. Spread over bottom
of crust. Spread remaining custard on top. Refrigerate 3 hours or up to 1
day (bananas will darken slightly).
5. Topping: beat cream with electric mixer until slightly thickened. Beat
in sugar and vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form when beaters are
6. Drop dollops of cream around edges of pie. Arrange sliced banana,
strawberries and almonds, and drizzle with caramel topping. Refrigerate
until serving time