Oil for deep frying
1/4 c Sugar
2 ts Baking powder
1 ts Salt
1/4 ts Pepper
1/2 ts Garlic salt
2/3 c Onion chopped
1 Egg; beaten
1 1/4 c Milk
1 1/2 c Yellow cornmeal
1. Heat oil in deep fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees; Mix sugar, baking
powder, salt, pepper & garlic salt.
2. In a blender, mix onion, egg and milk until they are milkshake
consistency. Whisk together dry and liquid mixtures and let sit until
bubbles begin to form, about 5 minutes.
3. Mix cornmeal and flour and gradually whisk into liquid mixture. Batter
should be thick, like drop-cookie dough.
4. Drop hush puppies by heaping teaspoon into hot oil. Fry only a few at a
time. They will bounce to the surface in 2 minutes, be golden brown by 4 to
5. Remove from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Makes 30